The Monte Carlo Farm Tape Staging System
STGSERVE is a server which stages data on VM and then transfers the data to
VMS using NFSmount. The server is designed to work with the Monte Carlo
Farm only. STGSERVE is not designed for general use. Please use the
VMS Staging system instead.
The client code is STAGE.C and CARTCMD.PREPMORT located in DUCSCART on VMS,
and the server code is STGSERVE EXEC located on the SLDSTAGE VM account.
How it Works:
The opentape command is intercepted and routed through STAGE.C. The
client then sends the tape request to STGSERVE
on VM. The server stages the tape and returns the address of the disk to
STAGE.C, which in turn mounts the disk using NFSmount and the returned address.
The STGSERVE server should always be running in a disconnected state. If there
appears to be a problem with the server, perform the following steps.
- Type "QSTAGE" from a VMS window. If you get the response "Could not
connect to remote host: STGSERVE", then the server is down and needs to be
restarted. Otherwise the server is running and may or may not be the cause
of your problems. If the server is down, or you feel that it needs restarting,
then continue with the following steps.
- Log into the SLDSTAGE account on VM.
- If you get VM READ prompt, the server is down and needs restarting (see
- If you get the CP READ prompt, the server is still running. You can
safely take down the server if all disks are nfsmounted (use the QSTAGE
command to see), otherwise you will cause some jobs to crash. If you still
want to take the server down, type "BEGIN" to return to CMS, then type "EXIT"
to stop the server. Otherwise type "DISC" to leave the server running.
- Restarting the server: Logout to clear the account and log back in.
- Type "STGSERVE" and wait for the reply of "Initialization complete"
- Return to CP by pressing the ATTN key twice (this key is usually PF4 on
the number pad).
- Type "DISC" to disconnect.